Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fox Sparrows

I noted back in November that we had our first Fox Sparrow in the yard, and that it was at that time a new life bird for me. Sally wasn't fortunate enough to see it, so we were thrilled when one appeared again this week. I noted again yesterday that we had two Foxes among our feeder visitors, though I realize now that I did not give their re-appearance sufficient fanfare! A single one had actually appeared a day or so earlier, but yesterday was the first time we'd seen two. Today they were joined by a third bird! I hope they stick around for a bit, though range maps show them as migratory in this area; they summer in far northern climes.

Today I managed to get a few halfway decent photos:


 


They certainly are handsome little guys! They're noticeably larger than most sparrows. Here's a shot of a Foxy with a Dark-eyed Junco, a female American Goldfinch, and an American Tree Sparrow for size comparison:


As always, click on the small images to see larger versions. 

By the way...that snow we had yesterday? It's all gone now, along with more of the winter's accumulation. But more is supposed to be on the way for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment